Saturday 6 February 2010

T H E G R E A T B A R R I E R R E E F












New years eve 2009 was spent scuba diving on the Great Barrier Reef. On the last day of the Noughties we had one of the best experiences of our lives. It was one of the most memorable days for us both. We hadn't originally planned to scuba dive we were just going to snorkel, but when the staff on board the Cruise Whitsundays ship explained how easy it was we decided it was a chance of a lifetime, so we bit the bullet and signed up. The pack itself was really heavy so after they put it on us I tried to stand up and fell back down, once you enter the water it becomes lighter but then you have to worry about the breathing under water factor. At first it felt really bizarre and I just wanted to come back to the surface and take a big gulp of air but the instructor took both our hands and took us down into the reef. The reef itself was spectacular, we went about 7 metres deep and saw more life the deeper we went. The area is home to a friendly 2 metre Mauri fish which comes right up so you can stroke its slimey skin. I had an underwater camera which we still haven't had developed but I'm hoping that I managed to snap a few photos of it, particularly one of Ben with it. The photos of the reef are from inside the semi submersible boat we went on, which was good for non-swimmers but the blue tinted windows took all the colour out of the reef.

1 comment:

  1. I scuba dove too! wasn't planning on it either but was sooo glad i decided to go for it. I still remember how excited i was after the dive. hands down one of the BEST experiences/days of my life. I dove a few miles off of Cairns. It was this small white sand island in the middle of the S.Pacific. INSANE! and the clown fish just came right up to me to stroke. it was like Seaworld...only better ;) xx

    ReplyDelete